Thursday, December 22, 2016

No One Body Shames My Pug!

As a health promoter I am very well versed in all the ways my profession body shames people through the messages of weight loss, "healthy" eating, and exercise.  I'm ashamed of my profession because of this.  However, I didn't expect that this public shaming would transfer to the dog world.

A pic of Pete enjoying some thinking time in a field of flowers with his many friends.

Over the course of the last six months, I have experienced strangers body shaming my dear sweet dog in public! The first came from what I can only describe as a crazy pug lady who felt Pete was so overweight "I was killing my dog" (direct quote from Crazy Pug Lady).  It didn't take me long to explain health and fat were not causal, Pete's diet was whole and limited, and his exercise regime active and off leash.  The next came from a woman at the dog park and the final one came from a man that Pete took a disliking to anyway.

Now I realize Pete may enjoy the odd snake in between meals (i.e. a bit of salmon, pork, or veggie) but he certainly doesn't eat processed junk food.  I also realize that even a tiny portion can add pounds on a pug...that's why we see so many "overweight"pugs around.  I just find it interesting that not only do people feel it's okay to body shame a person, but this shame is now moving into the dog world.

At any rate, I know Pete eats the healthiest meals, gets 2-3 walks per day and time to run in the forest.  He is loved, massaged, praised, cuddled, and adored by me and my family....so all you body shamers out there can stick that in your reduced calorie, fat free, sugar free, gluten free dog treat and suck it!

K

Pete hanging with his peeps (and dog walker) in the van.  He gets three pack walks a week and a lot of time to socialize with his buddies.  His dog walker, Scott, is a true dog whisperer!


No comments:

Post a Comment