Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Beware and Be Ready for the Vet Bills!

If you live with a pug or considering sharing your home with one, it is very important to consider the health care costs of choosing a member (albeit extremely cute one) of the brachiocephalic breeds.  Pugs are known to some (the cool people) as being one of the cutest dogs ever while others refer to them as ugly, fugly, or even pugly (I know...I can't even fathom).  At any rate, what contributes to their ageless looks is the hard fact that the pugs nose was bred out of them. As a result, these poor little dudes have breathing problems, teeth problems, and problems with thermoregulation (i.e. cooling themselves in higher heat)...to mention just a few.

Whoever says that pugs are anything but adorable has no soul (do you hear that husband?).

I knew this going in, but I really didn't comprehend to what extent.  To put this into perspective, I spent over $3500.00 this past spring on dental care for Pete.  Only $400.00 of this was covered by his medical plan (yes...I immediately signed him up for a medical plan to ensure I wouldn't be out of pocket)...I must have overlooked the small print.  Although I'm a firm believer of setting your pet up with a medical care plan, I'm somewhat skeptical about insurance providers based upon my last experience.  If I was able to put aside $50 a month for his future care, that would also be a good plan of action and be there for any expense he has.  Something to consider.

From vaccinations to dental surgery, it is something you need to consider when choosing to live and care for a dog. Should you be interested in accumulating a grumble of pugs (yes, that is the official term for a group of pugs) be ready to spend every penny on their care.


As Pete demonstrates, his nose has been considerably altered. Just think about what that does to his 42 teeth! From impacted teeth to teeth growing in all different directions, eventually your pug will have to face the dental chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment