Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Who Wants to Go for a Walk?!

One of our favourite walks during the summer is
Cattle Point in Oak Bay, Victoria.
One of the first posts I would like to offer is on the importance of walking your pug. Pugs, by nature and design tend to be overweight.  This could be due to their insatiable appetite for anything that even looks like a food item or their tendency to be as inactive as their caregiver.  If you refer to the many informative sites on pug health, it is suggested that pugs aren't really the athlete of the dog world.

What I have found is the complete opposite. I guess it is very pug specific, but Pete's default is a run and his passion is jumping and walking on narrow surfaces like logs, curbs, etc. He loves to balance and rummage through the bush.  After much training and canine socialization over the past two years, Pete became an off leash dog over the past six months (something that came as a huge relief for his caregiver).  He now enjoys exploring the many trials that are near our home.

Every morning (without exception...unless Pete determines it as such) the first thing we do before anything else is go for our morning walk. This may be 30 minutes to 60 minutes in length depending upon is schedule that day.  The first thing we do when I get home from work is go for another walk.  Not only has this helped keep Pete fit and healthy but I have never walked so much in my life as I have walking with him.  Pete is my personal trainer and one that I never argue with.

Yup. He would have NEVER considered this stunt surrounded by large dogs before he met his pack walker.  What a great job this dog whisperer has. 

Now, I realize that many people don't have the extra money to hire a dog walker, but before I decided to commit to a dog, I made sure I had that income to ensure he gets at least 2-3 pack walks each week during the working day.  Not only has this alleviated my guilt about leaving him at home, the pack walk helps to socialize him while his pack walker serves as the most effective trainer.  In fact, I do believe he is a dog whisperer.

Pete is able to get along with any breed of dog after his last two years of pack walking. If you do have the cash for it, I highly recommend it as a way to socialize and exercise your pug.  It seems there are new doggie day cares and pack walkers springing up everywhere.  Of course, you want to beware of who you are entrusting your pug child to. Before signing Pete up, I met with Scott and he met with Pete before the walks started.  Unfortunately, anyone can hang a shingle but not everyone treats your dog with care.


Here we see Pete and his walker taking a few minutes to relax on the wood trail.
Whether you live with a pug now or are thinking of sharing your life with one, you must carve out some time to walk twice a day (no matter what).  So many pugs (and dogs) I know stay indoors and sit throughout the entire day due to caregivers who are too busy or unable to walk.  If that's the case, hire a professional and think of the life long health of your pug!

No comments:

Post a Comment